Syllabus and Expectations for 8th Grade Music Enrichment Classes
pdf file of the below:Music Enrichment Class 2019 20
Student Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) to class Agreement/Form Herget MS Enrichment Class BYOD Agreement 19:20
1. Respect self, others and their property. Treat others, as you want to be treated.
2. Follow directions, be prepared to work.
Enrichment means that students will work on challenging, thought provoking, activities, and projects.
The Herget Middle School Music Enrichment class will also cover the above literacy through general music topics while focusing on creativity. Students who scored at the 60th NPR or above on the Performance Series Assessment last year are eligible to take this class. All students will be re-assessed every six to nine weeks.
Music Class Goals and Objectives:
The goal of the Herget Music Enrichment class is to provide all students with exposure to new ideas, concepts, and experiences through music. Students will explore other ways to create, communicate, connect, and share knowledge through creative music projects and performances for the community and public.
General Concepts Covered:
- Creating and composing music – Song writing
- Music technology (Tracking, looping, and music notation)
- Story telling, poetry, imagery, and sound effects
- Topics covered more in depth: Texture, Timbre, Beat, Rhythm, Melody, Harmony, and Bass
- Song styles and form
- Advertising, radio, voiceover, and dubbing
- Singing and playing
* Materials Needed:
- Earbuds or Headphones
- USB Flash drive
- Any technology including student personal devices or instruments such as Chromebook, iPad, or Phone.
Examples of Work, Projects, and Performances:
- Video/Audio recordings to post and share with the class or online
- Present a finished and edited video or recording
- Individual and group portfolio tracking in-class work and progress
- Written music or story
- Whole class, small group, and individual performance (Live and/or Recorded)
Grading is Pass/Fail Based on Participation and Effort:
Passing is 60% and above. Points each day based on:
4-5 Student is always engaged, on task, and participates everyday.
3-4 Student is engaged, on task, and participates most of the time.
2-3 Student is engaged, on task, and participates some of the time, with redirection.
1-0 Student is not or is rarely engaged, on task, and participates.
Grading Categories and Percent:
50% of the grade will be daily effort, classwork, participation, and work ethic. Time on task.
Students must check-in at least once a week to discus, demonstrate, and show progress for full credit.
50% of the grade will be the project(s).
See attached rubric. Late projects will be subject to loss of point penalties. 10 points off each day late.
Dr. Glogowski – firstname.lastname@example.org